London immigration can be daunting if you’re unfamiliar with the laws in the United Kingdom. But what stops you from learning about it?

London is a city of dreams for many Australians, but what is it like to immigrate to the British capital? Whether you’re a young professional looking to start your career in a global city or a family looking for a new adventure, London has something to offer everyone.

So, if you’re thinking about immigrating to London from Australia, read on to learn about the kinds of visas you may need to have.

United Kingdom Visas for Australian Citizens

Australian citizens may or may not need to acquire a visa to enter the United Kingdom, depending on the travel’s purpose and/or duration. The visa requirement depends on the following activities:

Tourism or Visiting Family and Friends

You don’t need a visa to come to the UK if this is your purpose. You can stay in the UK as a tourist for up to 6 months without a visa, but you must meet the Standard Visitor eligibility requirements. However, if you have a criminal record or previously refused to enter the UK, you must apply for a Standard Visitor Visa.

At the UK border, you must show a valid passport or a travel document. Your passport must be valid for the whole duration of your stay in the UK. Other documentary proof may be asked, such as:

  • Proof of financial support
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Proof that you’re visiting for tourism, such as attraction or park admission tickets.
  • Proof of paid return flight ticket

Moreover, if you’re under 18 and alone, a letter from your parent or guardian indicating their contact details, consent for your travel, details about your host, and their consent for you to stay with that person.

Work, Academic Visit, or Business

If you plan to stay in the UK for 6 months or less, you will not be required to get a visa. However, if it’s more than 6 months, London immigration will require you to get a visa for your intended purpose to be granted entry into the UK.

6 Months or Less Duration

If you plan to do academic visits or business in the UK for 6 months or less, you will not be required to apply for a visa. However, if you plan to work for the same time duration, you need to get a visa.

For academic visits, you may be invited as an expert in your profession. You can stay in the UK for up to 1 month without a visa. Still, you can only be paid by a UK-based organisation to give guest lectures, provide advocacy in legal proceedings, or participate in arts, entertainment, and sporting activities.

If you’re visiting for business purposes, you are allowed to stay up to  6 months but you can only do specific business or academic activities such as doing paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person, internships, or sell or provide goods and services.

Longer than 6 months duration

If you aim to work for more than 6 months, London immigration requires you to get a visa. To see if you are eligible for a UK visa, you can check on the London immigration’s website which visa should you apply for.

If you are interested to read about Sydney immigration, click here.